Whenever you are in Florida, you are sure to find Black Bean Soup or Frijoles at just about every restaurant as a side dish. In our bicultural family, we like to make this soup using dry beans to make it extra hearty. It is just so easy to make and it sparks conversations about Central America’s geography, play Spanish music in the background, and learn to say frijoles-porotos-beans so that we adequately know what they are called depending on where we are.
In Chile, black beans are known as porotos negros. In Central America – Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, they are known as frijoles. In English, they are called Black Beans.
This post may contain affiliate posts to help you find the best products.
Make Quick Dry Beans Using a Instant Pot- Pressure Cooker
If you want to make quick dry beans without needing to spend extra time soaking them, I recommend using a pressure cooker. That is what we have used my entire life. In fact, a pressure cooker is a staple of every Spanish kitchen. Everyone has one!
The Instant Pot has come and made it way easier than it used to be.
Just dump the ingredients, push button, cook, and serve.
Spanish Black Bean Soup Recipe
Spanish Black Bean Soup Ingredients
- 1 lb of dry black beans – this is the brand I prefer
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – finely chopped
- Oil to sauteée the onion and red bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced (or more if you’d like!)
- 2 quarts Chicken stock
- Additional spices: Paprika and cumin
- Salt to taste
To garnish Black Bean Soup:
What you have in stock, our preferences are avocado, fresh tomato, cilantro.
For extra creamy soup, add sour cream when serving warm soup.
How to Make 2 Meals using Black Beans Soup
What I love about making Black Bean Soup is that I am able to get two different dishes from one. We eat Black Bean Soup the first day, then Black Beans and Rice on the second day using the leftover soup.
I simply make yellow rice using this key spice to make Latin Rice for our Black Beans!
Black Beans Soup Directions:
- Sautée the onions, red bell pepper, and garlic using oil. Add paprika and cumin to it.
- Add dry black beans and chicken stock. Select Pressure Cooker. Cook for 45 min. to an hour. Or until beans are soft and tender. Make sure to cook them with plenty of liquid!!!
- Serve and use toppings for more flavors!
Cuéntame – Tell me:
What is your favorite dish to make in the Instant Pot?
If you liked this recipe, please share with your friends!